<< Chapter < Page Chapter >> Page >

23. What kind of data was collected?

  1. qualitative
  2. quantitative continuous
  3. quantitative discrete

24. What is the population under study?

Chapter 5

Use the following information to answer the next seven exercises: A recent study of mothers of junior high school children in Santa Clara County reported that 76% of the mothers are employed in paid positions. Of those mothers who are employed, 64% work full-time (over 35 hours per week), and 36% work part-time. However, out of all of the mothers in the population, 49% work full-time. The population under study is made up of mothers of junior high school children in Santa Clara County. Let E = employed and F = full-time employment.

25.

  1. Find the percent of all mothers in the population that are NOT employed.
  2. Find the percent of mothers in the population that are employed part-time.

26. The “type of employment” is considered to be what type of data?

27. Find the probability that a randomly selected mother works part-time given that she is employed.

28. Find the probability that a randomly selected person from the population will be employed or work full-time.

29. Being employed and working part-time:

  1. mutually exclusive events? Why or why not?
  2. independent events? Why or why not?

Use the following additional information to answer the next two exercises: We randomly pick ten mothers from the above population. We are interested in the number of the mothers that are employed. Let X = number of mothers that are employed.

30. State the distribution for X .

31. Find the probability that at least six are employed.

32. We expect the statistics discussion board to have, on average, 14 questions posted to it per week. We are interested in the number of questions posted to it per day.

  1. Define X .
  2. What are the values that the random variable may take on?
  3. State the distribution for X .
  4. Find the probability that from ten to 14 (inclusive) questions are posted to the listserv on a randomly picked day.

33. A person invests $1,000 into stock of a company that hopes to go public in one year. The probability that the person will lose all his money after one year (i.e. his stock will be worthless) is 35%. The probability that the person’s stock will still have a value of $1,000 after one year (i.e. no profit and no loss) is 60%. The probability that the person’s stock will increase in value by $10,000 after one year (i.e. will be worth $11,000) is 5%. Find the expected profit after one year.

34. Rachel’s piano cost $3,000. The average cost for a piano is $4,000 with a standard deviation of $2,500. Becca’s guitar cost $550. The average cost for a guitar is $500 with a standard deviation of $200. Matt’s drums cost $600. The average cost for drums is $700 with a standard deviation of $100. Whose cost was lowest when compared to his or her own instrument?

This is a boxplot over a number line  from 0 to 7. The left whisker ranges from minimum, 0, to lower quartile, 2. The box runs from lower quartile, 2, to upper quartile, 5. A dashed line marks the median at 4. The right whisker runs from 5 to maximum value 7.

35. Explain why each statement is either true or false given the box plot in [link] .

  1. Twenty-five percent of the data re at most five.
  2. There is the same amount of data from 4–5 as there is from 5–7.
  3. There are no data values of three.
  4. Fifty percent of the data are four.

Questions & Answers

you are working for a bank.The bank manager wants to know the mean waiting time for all customers who visit this bank. she has asked you to estimate this mean by taking a sample . Briefly explain how you will conduct this study. assume the data set on waiting times for 10 customers who visit a bank. Then estimate the population mean. choose your own confidence level.
Halpha Reply
what marriage for 10 years
Ambaye Reply
fit a least square model of y on x ? what is the regression coefficient ? x : 2 3 6 8 9 10 y : 5 6 7 10 8 11
Nayab Reply
how can we find the expectation of any function of X?
Jennifer
I've been using this app for some time now. I'm taking a stats class in college in spring and I still have no idea what's going on. I'm also 55 yrs old. Is there another app for people like me?
Tamala
Serious
Hamza
yes I am. it's been decades since I've been in school.
Tamala
who are u
zaheer
is there a private chat we can do
Tamala
hello how can I get PDF of solutions introduction mathematical statistics ( fourth education) who can help me
ahssal
can anyone help me
Halim
what is probability
zaheer Reply
simply probability means possibility.. definition:Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event to occur.
laraib
fit a least square model of y on x ? what is the regression coefficient ? x : 2 3 6 8 9 10 y : 5 6 7 10 8 11
Nayab
classification of data by attributes is called
Yamin Reply
qualitative classification
talal
tell me details about measure of Dispersion
Halim
Following data provided Class Frequency less than 10 10-20 5 15 10-30 25 12 40 and above Which measure of central tendency would you compute and why?
Nija Reply
a box contains a few red and a few blue balls.one ball is drawn randomly find the probability of getting a red ball if we know that there are 30 red and 40 blue balls in the box
harish Reply
3/7
RICH
Total=30+40=70 P(red balls) =30/70 Therefore the answer is 3/7
Anuforo
define transport statistical unit
Dennis Reply
describe each transport statistical unit
Dennis
explain uses of each transport statistical unit
Dennis
identify various transport statistical units with their example
Dennis
I didn't understand about Chi- square.
Esayas Reply
explain the concept of data analysis and data processing
Kim Reply
the following data represent the number of pop up advertisement received by 10 families during the past month.calculate the mean number of advertisement received by each family during month.43,37,35,30,41,23,33,31,16,21
ejaz Reply
mean=43+37+35+30+41+23+33+31+16/10 =310/10 =31
Anuforo
43+37+35+30+41+23+33+31+16 divided by 10 =310/10 =31
Anuforo
=310/10 =31
Anuforo
the following data represent the number of pop up advertisement received by 10 families during the past month.calculate the mean number of advertisement received by each family during month.43,37,35,30,41,23,33,31,16,21
ejaz Reply
In a recent survey of nurses in Region II, it was found out that the average monthly net income of nurses is Php 8,048.25. Suppose a researcher wants to test this figure by taking a random sample of 158 nurses in Region II to determine whether the monthly income has changed. Supposed further that th
Sweet Reply
what is index number
Mir Reply
Suppose from the 1,000 freshmen that took the entrance examination, it was found out that the standard deviation was 10 a. How many students passed the test if the passing score is set 75? b. What scores comprise the middle 95% of all scores?
Sweet Reply
Hi
HAYATUL
can you answer my question.
Sweet

Get Jobilize Job Search Mobile App in your pocket Now!

Get it on Google Play




Source:  OpenStax, Introductory statistics. OpenStax CNX. May 06, 2016 Download for free at http://legacy.cnx.org/content/col11562/1.18
Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google Inc.

Notification Switch

Would you like to follow the 'Introductory statistics' conversation and receive update notifications?

Ask